- The direction of osmosis can be reversed by applying the greater pressure than the osmotic pressure.
- Then pure solvent flows from solution into pure solvent through the semi permeable membrane.
- This process or phenomenon is called as reverse osmosis.
- When pressure is larger than osmotic pressure is applied then pure water from salty water passes into fresh water through semi permeable membrane.
- You can see in this image, how the pressure is acting on a salt water by the piston. So this is the reverse osmosis.
- In our daily life in water purifier this technique is used.